Pittsburgh's longest running Travel Program
Following Denver’s national title, box lacrosse has moved from being the hot trend in training to being the new standard. The number of reps, the speed of play, and the demands on an athlete of playing in a much smaller space exponentially increase stick skills and produce ruthless goal scorers. 412 Elite is proud to enter our fourth winter of our travel box program.
Playing on a box travel team provides the same benefits of playing on a field travel team (exposure to new coaches, new teammates, advanced competition, and traveling to new places), super charges your stick skills and ability to play in traffic.
Evaluation Training Camp
Evaluation training camp is July 25-26. The training camp is under the direction of Lax Life owner Chet Koneczny, an 8 year veteran of the NLL. Players evaluated on the following criteria:
- Willingness to embrace box concepts and strategy
- Previous high level box experiences, local winter leagues are not high level
- Being left handed vs. right handed
Pittsburgh Indoor Sports Arena 22 Rich Hill Road Cheswick, PA 15024
Wednesday July 25
Thursday July 26
- July Training Camp
- Thanksgiving Training Camp
- December 15-16 2018 Las Vegas Invitational - Las Vegas, Nevada (Optional Details Below)
- Holiday Break Training Camp
- January 19-20 NXT Chicago Indoor Championships - Naperville, Illinois
- February 17 Steel City Cup - Harmarville, Pennsylvania
Las Vegas Trip
Athletes are not required to attend the Vegas tournament in order to be in the program. A survey conducted following the 2017-2018 season suggested many families but not all were interested in making the trip so we included it as an additional program.
Coaches will be updated over the course of the summer:
Luke Howell - current Hampton varsity assistant coach
Peter Tumbas - former Seneca Valley varsity head coach and assistant, former Hampton varsity head coach, former Central Catholic varsity assistant and junior varsity head coach
Goalies play for free and are provided with equipment.
Athletes will have the opportunity to purchase a box helmet at a reduced rate.
The high school teams will likely follow the typical box make up of 9/10th grade and 11/12th grade rosters however we will also consider fielding single graduation year teams. At the youth level, we will field 7/8th grade and 5/6th grade teams.
Rosters are capped 18 runners and 2 goalies. See above notes on what we will look for at the evaluation camp. Additionally, we have made a point to bring in out of area players to strengthen the program. This practice will continue for 2018-2019.
MEET THE DIRECTOR
We are thrilled to announce J.A. MacDougall, current assistant at Shady Side, as our new Box Director. Take a quick look at Coach MacDougall's career below.
- 2005 Canadian National Field Lacrosse Champion Hamilton Bengals
- 2005 Ontario Lacrosse Association Junior A Draft Pick 1 st Pick of 2nd Round (13th Overall) Toronto Beaches
- 2009 Mercyhurst University Lakers Men’s Lacrosse (Midfield/Attack)
- 2011 NCAA DII Men’s Lacrosse National Champions
- 2012 Mercyhurst Lacrosse Senior Captain
- 2012 Erie Flagship Lacrosse Director of Box Lacrosse Operations
- 2016 Waingels College (UK) Lacrosse Program Founder
- 2016 Men’s South of England Midfielder British National Championships
In the fall of 2018, 412 Elite enters our fifth season. The first year of our Box Travel was something we offered as a way for youth players to escape the mediocrity and low intensity of indoor leagues, but when we saw 5th and 6th graders from New Jersey who had better stick skills than varsity attackmen in Pittsburgh we knew we had to double down on our efforts to expose Pittsburgh to legitimate box lacrosse. The next two seasons have featured four teams and a summer training camp with NLL stars Mark Matthews and Shayne Jackson. We shifted from considering box to be a fade to making it the foundation of how train Pittsburgh lacrosse players. Last year, coaches from St. Catherine's Canada came to work with the program in the summer and the Canadian club Hard Cor came to town in February for competition.
Did You Know
- Three box players were named high school All Americans in 2017, 1 box player earned the honor in 2016
- 19/20 Team captured the 2017 B Division title at the USBOXLA Battle of the Barn in Indianapolis
- Four of six 2017 D1 commits played one or two seasons of Box Travel over the last two winters
- Coming off of box season, Mt. Lebanon's Connor Brumfield scored 29 goals in 9 games with a 70% shooting percentage, he scored once in his first career college game